Tuesday 14th April 2020
The horror movie checklist:
- Large house with multiple rooms. Old.
- Dark house, where multiple 20W lamps are needed in every heavily curtained space. Even in daytime, thanks to broody, rainy locations like Southern California. Firelight.
- A basement/ attic stuffed with middle class clutter and weird AF shit.
- A basement door to the garden that is jammed. Extra point if a spade is resting outside, with a wooden handle.
- An unlocked front door. All exteriors are pretty much unlocked, the opposite once inside.
- Creepy doll
- Jewellery box with a twirling ballerina.
- Painting close up. The eyes.
- Door knob slowly turning.
- Looking through a slat. Surprise!
- Key doesn’t work. It will later.
- Old newspaper/ photo album with grainy black and white of an unhappy loner.
- A diary/ investigation wall. Tortured drawings.
- Upper middle class family. One of the parents is creative.
- Pale, sickly looking child. Very serious. Nerdy, independent.
- Pale, sickly looking service staff. Extra point if they look and act Victorian, despite hitting their twenties in the 90s.
- Creepy old person/ disabled person. Extra point if they have a foreign accent.
- Skin disease.
- Teen sex scene.
- School angst. Bullying.
- Southern accent
- British accent.
- Someone innocently bursting into a room, or grabbing someone by the shoulders from behind, to greet them as you do. Or just walking past with the sudden sound of screeching strings.
- Walking into a room. Stopping. Freezing.
- Calling on someone and finding them violently compromised by a household object.
- Explosive flurry of urban wildlife: birds/ bats/ rats/ a cat.
- A barking dog, that becomes a whine.
- And then I woke up!
- Secret room.
- Sharpened bench/ farm tools.
- Shower scene, eyes closed. Extra point if she doesn’t check the heat/ wait for it to warm. x
- A fall from height.
- Woman/ child calling stupidly, announcing herself at all times no matter the glimpsed shapes and skittering sounds. Half a point if it’s a teenage guy.
- Quit it guys! This ain’t funny guys!
- She who runs falls.
- I have a great idea: let’s split up.
- No one believes me! /I’m going mad! Can I trust mine own eyes?
- Noises on the level above. Tracking them.
- Hiding in closet/ under the bed scene.
- Blissful diorama at the end. But it’s not the end…
Score: Child’s Play (2019) – 11/40 Surprisingly refreshing, though everything as trashy as promised and quite a dalliance into torture porn, ewww.
Another blanket-drowned day. Up at 5am, back to bed again by 8. Then awake by 11. No breakfast. Attempted lunch at 4pm.
Grated up a swede, threw in a potato too why not. Garlic and onions. Bacon. This’ll be like one of those German potato cakes, or latke, yeah!
Dash of soya, green tabasco. Some of that Bosnian spice mix why not. Fry, till crispy on the edges.
Doesn’t work. Crispy, yet soggy. Smoking AF. Tried it anyway.
Waaay too salty, it’s that Bosnian stock mix thing. Better make rice to water it down. It’ll be like what rice was designed for, a few choice slivers of flavour intensity like jewels in creamy fluffiness. Yes.
Gawd, it’s still awful. This calls for an egg, no three. A full on omelette. Like a tortilla. Yes. Separate the rice, return it to the pan.
OMFG inedible. Salty, sludgey, eggy. Like super eggy. Burnt.
Every surface smells of egg, room is noxious too with weird smoke pong. Open window, re-wash all the china, glasses and cutlery.
Let’s try rice porridge. The kind that actually demands a salty accompaniment, commonly duck egg or thousand year egg. That’ll surely utilise the flavour. Yes.
OMFG it’s literally poison. Burning a hole into the bowl. Complete fucking giant egg write-off. Half my larder gone on it too. This is like McCandless’s existential nadir when he kills that moose in Into The Wild.
Pounding, vomitous migraine from disrupted sleep plus no food.
Looked up some foreign cinema, after my diatribe about Americana yesterday. After an hour of research, downloaded a Chinese film noir, The Wild Goose Lake, apparently second place to the Palmes D’Or. Took an age to get started (clicking away pop ups like Whack-A-Mole, restarting on new tabs, loading up a stream at dial-up speed). Then no subtitles. None found either online.
Have a sudden urge to play whack-a-mole with real moles.
Tomorrow I’ll try and give the chum to the pigeons, they’re probably starving. Though I tried the last few days to feed them.
They have got to be the most stupid animals I’ve met. They watch me throw them crumbs, then whole slices like a performance artist. One of them works out it’s bread, but the minute it falls off the roof, it’s as if disappeared. They do not make the connection, as slice after slice ends up on the floor below. Even when a day later I collect them and deposit them, shrine-like, in the middle of the carpark, they remain like modern art. Speaking volumes about our disposable consumerism at an epoch-changing time of want and the Heiglian ideal. Yes.
They’re probably new pigeons. The rest have starved to death, and these were the chicks that survived. They have no idea what bread is, but if they’re willing to peck at vomit, they’ll maybe be able to peck at my
lunch dinner attempt.
In the news.
- Trump has had a meltdown, publicly ranting at reporters for an hour and a half, and including a pre-prepared video on the injustice he’s endured, notably under questions on his running of the C-19 show.
- Many Africans in China are now facing homelessness following an outbreak of C-19 reinfection in the African districts of Guangzhou, and a nurse who was attacked after a man escaped an isolation ward. A slew of evictions followed, and a sign even put up asking Black customers to please not enter a McDonalds (later the company apologised). Although social media campaigns have now sorted food, clothing and re-housing, and the govt is making a statement they have a zero tolerance to racism, the local police were said to be hassling the unfortunates, and even blocking aid-givers.
- It’s seen as an excuse for the council to finally push the community out, once hundreds of thousands strong, inline with a crackdown from 2018 eliminating visa-overstayers and illegals, which China has been increasingly inundated with this last decade. The history of racism and pandemics goes hand-in-hand, and galling given that Chinese round the world have been victims, but now fellow perpetrators. The world is studded with fucking idiots.
- World food production is looking increasingly threatened by the collapse of logistical transport networks, processing factories and retail. Most immediately vulnerable are Pacific nations, with desert nations and smaller European/ island countries to follow.
- Russia is giving hints it’s gotten serious over there, Putin looking serious alongside. China has recently been having many cases of reinfection coming from across its northern border, notably the border city of Suifenhe reentering lockdown.
- Japan is also looking worse, with hundreds more cases. Like Russia it’s been following a light lockdown if none at all, relying on masks and social distancing. China’s other re-lockdowned city is a port that services Japan, Jiaozhou.
- Another 778 died in UK hospitals today, bringing the total over 12,000, despite still an undercount. The BBC is no longer reporting the deaths, or at least making it obvious.
- Globally deaths are at 120,000 and 2 million infected.